Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Y is for Y the Hell Not! (Also for Yummy)

The Scooby Snack as it's supposed to look - note the size of the glass...

Five days ago I shared a link on Facebook for a bowl-me-over completely deliciousified drink called a Scooby Snack. Since then I've been hunting down the ingredients, obsessed with tasting its pastel limey frothiness.

It wasn't easy. Even in a wild west town like mine where there's more liquor stores than gas stations. I'm from Ontario, see, a place that perennially has a pickle up its ass when it comes to liquor laws. The Liquor Control Board of Ontario (commonly known as the LCBO or the In And Out Store), which is run by the provincial government, dictates where booze can be sold, when it can be sold, and what kind of booziness the protestant-manifestoed, rule-infested people of that great province can imbibe. I came out to Alberta and was bowled over by booze stores on every block. Even Sobey's, a grocery store, has its own liquor store – and it even has its own FLYER. I mean, can you imagine a sale flyer for the LCBO arriving in your mailbox in Ontario??? It just wouldn't happen.

Not that I care, not really. I'm not much of a drinker and can't remember the last time I bought booze. Still, there was something about that Scooby Snack photo that sent me running. Here's the recipe:

SCOOBY SNACK
1/2 oz. (15ml) Midori Melon Liqueur
1/2 oz. (15ml) Malibu Coconut Rum
Splash of Pineapple Juice
Shot of Whipped Cream, the stuff in a can, of course
You put all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice, shake, pour into a glass and garnish with more whipped cream.

I had a heck of a time finding all that stuff. Had to search for a cocktail shaker to start off with – found one in Canadian Tire. $9.95. Bargoon! 

The Malibu rum was in the first liquor barn I went to (suddenly I was no longer an Alberta liquor store virgin), but I couldn't find any Midori. I phoned around the other day to other liquor barns and was unsuccessful, but on a lark I popped into the crappiest looking store in town and, voila, there it was! I must say, the store was crappy on the outside – the fact that a pick-up truck drove through the front window a few weeks ago and it's all boarded up with plywood doesn't help – but the inside was funky and cool and kinda friendly. 

I was going to wait until Dave got home before I tried the drink, because you're not supposed to drink alone, right? A sure sign that I'm a raving alcoholic, right?

Pfffft.... I couldn't wait. And besides, my Y letter was Y the Hell Not!

So I made it ... except I didn't have a shot glass to measure the booze so I actually think my drink was three times a normal size – making it more of a Scooby Buffet than a Snack. But it was DEEEE-LIICOUS!!!! I slurped it down like nobody's business, felt giddy for about 10 minutes, than went upstairs and fell asleep.

My Scooby Snack - in an old-fashioned glass ... *hiccup*


10 comments:

  1. It sure looks good. Too bad I'm allergic to alcohol. California is like Alberta. We were stunned to find it in the grocery stores and liquor stores open on Sunday. Back when I lived in MA the first time, people went to NH for their liquor runs on Sundays b/c the 'packy stores' are closed. I think some are open now. WA was also state run but they finally got rid of the liquor control board. There's a great store Beverages and More that sells any and all the liquor and snacks you could want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be under the table after that drink...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a drinker, but that does sound delicious.
    I'm amazed at those laws!
    Really?
    Laws that state where you can buy what, how much you can drink and when?
    Out here the only law is a person must be over 18, with ID or no sale. Anybody can buy anything, anytime, anywhere in whatever amounts they want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It appears you bypassed the whipped cream, thus negating all negative qualities. Pour another, Scotty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why? or Y? The answer is so often Y the hell not, or a more succint Yes. Another.
    I am not a fan of Midori, but could probably force a bucket or so of that down. And then Yawn, and nap. And nap some more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmmm....splash some midori in club soda if warm weather ever hits you (and you happen to have any Midori left by then)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea what it would take to get me drunk. I've sampled enough from wine to whiskey to have decided I just don't like the taste of the stuff, so I've never had that much at one sitting.

    This sounds like the sort of thing that would get Rob Ford lubricated for along night of drinking...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks pretty...sort of like creamy koolaid. Sadly I don't do well with alcohol. I know, I'm mising sooo much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The concoction sounds quite delightful. And now you know how to get into a good night's sleep. Well done Cathy!

    Blessings and Bear hugs! And sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...