Monday, June 6, 2011

The Bumblebee Moth


"Look, Sam," I said to my 10-year-old, "there's a big bumblebee on the lilac bush."
But it wasn't a bee at all.
It was a Bumblebee Moth, also known as a Snowberry Clearwing Moth and a Hemaris diffinis.
If you'd like to know more about the Bumblebee Moth, flutter over HERE.
Didn't I sound like Hinterland Who's Who just now?
(Click on the photo for a biggie-size moth.)

I have another wildlife photo to share. Dave took this one on the same day.
A pregnant painted turtle mommy elected to lay her eggs directly below our mailbox! It's actually a pretty safe place, especially with Canada Post threatening to go on strike.
We are all looking forward to baby paints in approximately 72 days.
I'd better start knitting!

11 comments:

  1. Great photo of the bee moth. What a beautiful creature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, Cathy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's so lovely that the turtle chose your home! I can picture the tranquility around your house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That thing is pretty freaky. I am not scared of bees, but I might be scared of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen a bee moth before...wow!! Is there water nearby for those baby turtles?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mari - it's tranquil sometimes... the kids make it slightly less so!
    Mybabyjohn - yup! the Muskoka River! They'll just crawl down the embankment and start swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So the kids won't let the tranquility make you bored. Win-win! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got the coolest wildlife out there, Cathy. I think I saw one in London. A neighbour called it a 'hawk moth' though.

    All we've got around here are moose prancing across the highway. And cats pooping in gardens. And seagulls doing what they do best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos. I wish we had turtles. You live in the best place, and you see so much. Like having your own wildlife reserve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool is it to have your own turtle hatchery? I anxiously await the arrival of the little ones! What is the gestation period?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it is cool that the mama turtle laid her eggs under your mailbox. That way you have something to check even if you don't get mail.

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...