Saturday, May 14, 2011

Kiosk Revisited

After our disastrous four-day spring fishing trip on Algonquin's Lake Kioskokwi two weekends ago we decided to try again.
We had no kids, we had no plans and we had a decent weather forecast so we headed north, packing nothing but our fishing stuff, a tent and our dog. This time out the weather was a heckuva lot better – we actually came home with sunburns! And, wonders of wonders, we caught fish! Of course, we released them so they can go off to make babies that we can catch in the future.
Click on the photos to make them bigger and purtier.

Misty peeks out of the tent flap.

Our first fish and I caught it! Dave gets up close and personal with this nifty little lake trout.

Dave caught two nice sized whitefish. This photo will be on the cover of the 2011 Fishing Guide, coming out next week in the Huntsville Forester and the Almaguin News. Dave is SUCH a Cover Guy.

The rapids where the Amable du Fond River tumbles into Lake Kioskokwi.

Talk about bumps on a log.

Tree Club Moss, on the right, looks like tiny evergreen trees. The greenery on the left may be Common Hair Cap Moss, but I'm not sure. I do know it's pretty. I took this photo at a vacant campsite in a mixed forest.

The view from the outhouse.

Dave builds a fire for our shore lunch of toasted havarti and black forest ham sandwiches.

This is how I want to spend every day of my life.


I love this photo. The clouds are gorgeous. Click on the photo to see what I mean.

We snuck up a tiny creek to check out the fishing.

No fish, but I did look fabulous in my periwinkle Pro Bass rain gear.

Then we rode the wild wake back to calmer waters. Woo HOO!

Dave landed a chunky smallmouth bass that went right back into the water after this pix. Bass are out of season until the beginning of July.

Clams are always in season and a year doesn't go by that I don't snag one and haul it in.

5 comments:

  1. Great photos...glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, but all I can say is better you than me. It looks cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, that was the WARM, DRY weekend... the weekend before, there was still ice on the lake and, man, talk about cold...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an awesome trip and time! I love the picture of Misty peering out of the tent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo, glad you caught fish! Great looking smallmouth there, Dave. Clamming with a rod and reel is about as sporting as it gets. :) Great pics all!

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...