Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy and I Know It

Hey Laurita - bet you thought I was never going to get around to this.
I was... eventually... I'm not the quickest runner off the mark with anything but like a big, slow boat I eventually make the turn and face the direction I need to go.
Just gotta say how pleased I was to see my name on your list for this sweet little cupcake of an award. Hey, and I'm loving what you're doing with that seafaring contest over yonder on that happy blog of yours. For those who want to join the fun, one of Newfoundland's most famous bloggists (the other is Alan Davidson, of course) is hosting a two-sided contest. For the writers amongst us, concoct a 500 word story involving the sea. For the readers, merely use the word 'yarn' in any comment on any of Laurita's blog posts in the next few weeks. Go to Brain Droppings blog for all the details. While you're there, read the poem her Dad wrote. And read some of her stories. She is a wonderful writer.
OK enough butt-kissing.
Laurita wants to know 10 things that make me happy. So here goes:

1. This community of writers I have recently discovered makes me happy. Deliriously so. They/you occupy my thoughts and my days and continually inspire me. Because of you, I am joining a local writers' group and will be taking part in the Muskoka Novel Marathon, something that scares the very crap out of me but, what the heck. (More on that later.)

2. Planning my wedding makes me happy. I ordered my wedding dress last week. Online, no less. But I figure since I met Dave online, it only makes sense to get the dress there, too. Go here if you want to check it out. (But don't show Dave, k?) And I've got a great wedding photographer booked. Erin is amazing. Check out her Trash the Dress photos. Dave has ordered his suit, the church is booked, my cousin Mandy will be doing the flowers because she is AWESOME and my friend Leah will be doing the cake because she, too, is AWESOME. Most awesome of all, my friend Vic will be doing much of the service. Vic is going to be studying to become a lay minister with the United Church and she is funny as hell so I am looking forward to what she has to say. I told her I want it to be like a eulogy, only without us dead. The Raneys, Tammy and Richard, are standing up for us (little sweethearts they are) and our children will form the rest of the bridal party... Angus and Sam, our kids, and Emily and Megan, theirs. Oh, we're getting married Sept. 25 in Bracebridge. Y'all are invited, hear?

3. Coffee makes me happy. Even though Sam spilled an entire mug of it on me just minutes ago.

4. My treadmill makes me happy. I used to hate exercise. Still do. But with the treadmill, I. AM. AN. ATHLETE.

5. My job makes me happy. Most days. When it doesn't, I hate it with a passion.

6. Mexican taco dip makes me happy. With diet pepsi and lots of ice. Popcorn also makes me happy. As does cheesecake, oh, I almost forgot cheesecake.

7. Fishing makes me happy, as long as I don't have to touch the fish, or eat the fish, or touch the bait.

8. Camping. Oh, how I love camping. We were going to go somewhere corny like Niagara Falls for our honeymoon but we decided to go camping instead. Last Thanksgiving our whole family got together on a trip, cooked the turkey outdoors, the whole nine yards. Canoeing also makes me happy. I am a northern girl.

9. My family makes me happy. Dave is a hunk of burning love. My kids like me most days. You know, when I'm not torturing them.

10. My life makes me happy. I am loving it right now. This year I turn 50 and I am as happy now as I have ever been. You get to this stage in life and you like who you are and what you're doing and you don't give a shit what anyone thinks about it. I am becoming Maxine, that greeting card grump, and I am happy about that.

11. I'm adding an extra number here just to say that MY MOM makes me happier than anybody in the whole darn world! She is the bestest mother ever and I don't know what I'd do without her. Loves ya, babe!

I would like to see makes these people happy:

Mark Champion Man Island
CJ Hodges-MacFarlane Mostly Other Things
Lou Freshwater Baby's Black Balloon
Mark Kerstetter The Bricoleur
I would like to add Anton Gully to this list because he hates any kind of award and he's always so damn grumpy I'd like to know if anything at all makes this man happy.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see this list! And thanks for spreading the word about the contest and for all the sweet comments.

    Your list made me happy. I'm smiling like a cheshire cat here. Good luck on the Novel Marathon, sounds like crazy fun. And your dress - positively gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have a job that makes you happy? I'd like to see Anton Gully's approach to happiness too. As for me (thank you), it'll be a challenge working happy-talk into my broods-and-thinks-about-death-all-the-time-mystique... Thanks for thinking of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to love, love, LOVE the novel marathon! And we're going to love having you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post makes me happy ;^) Congrats, and I'll check out the others' takes on joy and all that jazz...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anton will be especially happy because the award is PINK! (He loves pink awards)

    Congrats! I love the thought of the wedding ceremony being conducted as an eulogy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, this was such a happy, funny post!

    Congrats on the award!

    The dress is GORGEOUS.

    I, too, am waiting to read Mark's happy-talk. He is a wonderful person and I love his broody mystique. It will be fascinating to see another side.

    And Anton! Wow. Can't wait to see what he does! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific blogsite, Cathy! You're not too far from us. We try to travel Muskoka every summer when we're doing the rounds.
    Your images make me happy! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Cathy, so glad I ventured over here! What a fun posting. Invoking Maxine? You are my new hero! Lol.

    Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

    Poor Mr.Gully. I know something that makes him happy, but...I'll never tell. Hehehe.

    ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be happy if my comment gets posted. Seems that the previous one went to your e-mail even though I have no clue what your e-mail addy is. (cue Twilight Zone theme song)
    But, since you asked, what makes me really happy is living in our little cottage on the lake, listening to music all day long, stitching, and
    hanging out with my Dave. Pretty boring, eh?

    Oh, and I just love your dress. It's exquisite.
    And for god sake, don't wear your large granny underpants underneath it!

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...