Saturday, January 2, 2010

Butterscotch in the Phone

Holy crap it's cold outside.
We just got back from town, making the Webster-Olliffe Rally Circuit from Wally World to Chalet Suisse to Rogers Video with little side trips to Crappy Tire and an outrageously priced furniture store. We were going to go into the furniture store first but my boss was going in ahead of us. My BIG boss. 
Dave says, "Do you wanna go in now or later?"
I imagined following my boss around the store, bumping into him at every corner, making awkward small talk. He's a nice guy and it would be fine but I'm a little intimidated, so I'd get all blushey and stupid and weirded out.
"Later," I say.
"Good," says Dave.
At Wally World we bought a new vaccuum cleaner. The Hoover Mach Cyclonic with Wind Tunnel Technology. AR-AR-AR.
Dave's putting it together as we speak. Soon he will be roaring around the house with it, terrorizing the dog and the cats. And me, probably.
In the meantime, he's busy, I'm happy and I have a recipe to post.
The recipe is called Butterscotch in the Phone and it's the perfect weeknight winter dessert requiring no special ingredients and hardly any time. Plus, I have never run into anybody who doesn't love it.
I made it for my friend Vic once and she had an allergic reaction and nearly died. But she loved it. Oh, she SAYS it wasn't the Butterscotch in the Phone – tried to blame the high-falutin' ginger ale I served her. What Ever. I'm just glad she didn't die on my watch.
So you're probably wondering, if you're still following me on this diatribe, what the heck Butterscotch in the Phone is.
You take a Werther's Original and suck on it until it's nice and sticky and then you pull out your cell phone and stick the butterscotch candy on the phone using your tongue.
Really.
Well, not really.
It's my Mom's recipe and originally it was called Butterscotch in the Oven.
But like a lot of the recipes I scam from her, I got it from her via the telephone. I guess I wasn't paying attention when I wrote it down because there, at the top of the page, clear as my best messy handwriting can be, is Butterscotch in the Phone.
I got the recipe from her back in the late 1980s and, ever since, it has become a family favourite. Everybody raves about the "phone thing."
Then again, everybody always raves about any recipe from my mom. Dorothy Robb is about the best cook I know. She says, "I'm just a plain cook. Nothing fancy." But everything she makes is plainly delicious. 
Tonight I post Butterscotch in the Phone because Vic and Leah want the recipe. Here it is, ladies, enjoy. If you choke on it, Vic, don't blame me.
Blame my dear, sweet mother!

P.S. That's my mom in the picture above, with her best pal Molly. It was taken at Lake of Two Rivers in Algonquin Park.

Butterscotch in the Phone
(This comes out of the oven VERY HOT, so don't wolf it down and burn your mouth. If you do, don't blame me or my mom, blame yourself, because you're an idiot)

In a pudding dish (I use a 2 quart Corning Ware dish), mix:

1 tbsp butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups boiling water
1/2 tsp vinegar
Bring to a boil in a pudding dish on top of stove. Let it boil for a few minutes.

In a separate bowl mix:
1 tsp butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

Mix ingredients together to make a thick batter. Drop by spoonfuls into boiling sauce. Put pudding dish in the oven. 
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.




No comments:

Post a Comment

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...